SENIOR TECHNICAL OFFICER
The Senior Technical Officer provides technical and functional leadership and training to DAS Project Technologists regarding BC Housing’s Design and Construction Standards, costing, materials, construction methods, and project/contracting processes. The position ensures compliance of DAS projects with Design and Construction Standards, and provides an overall review of projects and contracts to ensure compatibility with project/program objectives, guidelines and administrative requirements. The Senior Technical Officer is also responsible for reviewing, maintaining and updating the Design Guidelines and Construction Standards; tracking and forecasting construction costs, maintaining the Costing database, and managing third party construction cost reviews; and developing and maintaining project and contracting procedures.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor degree in Engineering or other relevant discipline, or applied technology diploma in architecture, engineering (civil), building technology or related field from a recognized technical college.
- Training in the following: Project Management; Quantity Surveying Principles; Construction Industry Standards including regulatory requirements; Construction Contract Administration; recommended construction practices.
- Eligible for designation as an Engineer, Quantity Surveyor, Architect or AScT (Applied Science Technologist) or CET (Certified Engineering Technologist) with Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC)
- Minimum 6 years well rounded technologist work experience in multi-unit residential development and construction
- Quantity Surveyor / Cost Consulting experience
- Considerable related field experience.
- Two years contract administration experience including significant experience with industry standard construction contracts.
- Experience inspecting new and existing buildings
Or the equivalent combination or education, training and experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of construction and construction project management principles, and related legislation, by-laws, building codes, building design, and municipal approval and inspection processes affecting high rise and low rise residential development and construction.
- Considerable knowledge of LEED construction practices and the methods and materials relating to the construction, development, remediation and renovation of multi-unit wood frame and non-combustible residential buildings.
- Considerable knowledge of various practices relating to construction management including construction cost analysis methods and standard forms of construction contracts
- Good knowledge of construction and market trends, and current knowledge of standard construction costs
- Ability to read and critique construction drawings and estimate construction costs for new construction
- Ability to provide technical leadership, direction and mentorship to staff in construction and construction management philosophies and practices
- Superior planning, organizing, analytical, problem-solving and decisions making skills
- Strong creative and critical thinking skills and ability to exercise good judgement
- Advanced communication skills, both orally and in writing, with a broad range of audiences
- Proficient in MS Office applications and in Construction software
- Willingness to travel on Commission business and work periodic evenings and weekends
- Due to the nature of this role, a valid class 5 driver's license and satisfactory driving record is required.
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
More search results
University of Toronto - Scarborough
Executive Assistant / Adjoint ou adjointe de dire…
Destination Canada - 349294
Awasis Agency of Northern Manitoba
Chief Executive Officer
The Legal Services Board of Nunavut
Director, Employment Strategies
United Way of Greater Toronto