- Job Category
- Environmental, Management, Project Management
- Job Type
Imperial is looking for an experienced Indigenous consultation and community relations specialist to support major development plans and ongoing operational projects in Alberta. If you have a track record of building and sustaining collaborative relationships, we’d like to hear from you. Exceptional interpersonal and negotiation skills, sound judgment and strategic thinking are fundamental to this role. Exposure to business/economic and workforce development is also desirable.
- Develop and implement Indigenous and community consultation strategies for regulatory projects:
- Consider the company’s business interests within the context of local expectations and concerns.
- Support regulatory and permitting processes to minimize opposition by anticipating concerns and collaborating on solutions well in advance of critical timelines.
- Manage all local consultation activities with Indigenous communities and other stakeholders (industry, local governments, landowners and trap line holders) including the development of communication materials and coordination of open houses, technical workshops and meetings.
- Jointly develop consultation plans with Indigenous communities and designate funding
- Coordinate written responses to stakeholder and Indigenous concerns
- Maintain stakeholder databases and support ESTMA and other reporting requirements
- Interface with the Aboriginal Consultation Office and sustain regular communication, documentation and submissions supporting consultation activities.
- Engage the company’s project management team to secure and steward a consultation budget, steward to project schedule, seek input on the development of communication materials and technical support.
- Build and maintain trust through collaborative opportunities focused on mutual interest and the resolution of project concerns.
- Maintain a high level of internal client satisfaction with project management leadership; socioeconomic effort measured and benchmarked.
- Participate in community activities to develop and maintain relationships.
- Leverage the company’s One Team integrated asset support model with other functions (Public & Government Affairs, Commercial, Land, Environment & Regulatory, Operations, etc.) to deliver tangible business outcomes.
- Adhere to all controls, policies and regulations pertaining to the above accountabilities.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the unique history, cultures and rights of Indigenous Peoples in Canada
- Extensive experience in Indigenous relations, preferably in the natural resource sector
- Technical understanding of the integrated oil and gas industry and related regulation including Alberta’s First Nation and Métis consultation policies and guidelines
- Track record of success in previous, similar work assignments
- Advanced relationship building and effective negotiation skills
- Experience stewarding complex agreements
- Competent in issues management and conflict resolution
- Post-secondary training in Indigenous relations, land, business, and/or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- Experience participating in emergency response as it relates to Indigenous and community relations
- Ability to travel regularly throughout AB; valid driver’s license required
Start date: August 2018
Location: Cold Lake or Calgary-based with regular business travel
- A company committed to career growth - we recruit those who are interested in a career with Imperial and prefer to develop and promote people from within. Our career management process means that you will likely perform a number of unique, challenging roles during your career.
- Successful networking and mentoring programs - enable you to spend time with managers from across the organization to learn about other departments and opportunities. Also allows you to connect with peers at a similar experience level.
- Commitment to safety, ethics & continuous improvement – these standards are the reason Imperial is an industry leader. You will work for a company that upholds safety and ethics ideals and continues to seek out ways to improve.
- Exceptional benefits program - includes competitive savings, retirement, and healthcare plans that you can customize to meet your individual needs. A comprehensive relocation package is provided, if required. Educational and physical fitness financial assistance programs round out our benefits package.
- Continuous learning environment – encourages you to augment your skills and capabilities.
- If you are talented, driven, and want to make meaningful contributions that really impact environmental, safety and bottom line objectives, then you owe it to yourself to apply with Imperial.
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial offers exciting opportunities across our upstream, downstream, chemical, and corporate divisions. We are committed to high standards, applying technology and innovation to meet energy demands in a safe, reliable and environmentally sound manner. No matter what your career path, we provide the platform to elevate your goals and achieve your ambitions, while providing support through wide-ranging programs and benefits.
For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required. We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
Applicants must be permanently eligible to work in Canada. Proof of eligibility must be in the form of a copy of your Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate or Canadian certificate of permanent residence. Document must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility is required if an offer is made.
Application deadline: July 22, 2018
Please apply by visiting the career section of imperialoil.ca
Alternate Location: Canada : Calgary, AB || Canada : Cold Lake, AB
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.
More search results
University of Toronto - Scarborough
Executive Assistant / Adjoint ou adjointe de dire…
Destination Canada - 349294
Awasis Agency of Northern Manitoba
Chief Executive Officer
The Legal Services Board of Nunavut
Director, Employment Strategies
United Way of Greater Toronto