Indspire is an Indigenous-led national registered charity that invests in the education of Indigenous people for the long-term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada. With the support of its funding partners, Indspire disburses financial awards, delivers programs, and shares resources with the goal of closing the gap in Indigenous education. Through Indspire’s K-12 Institute, it provides resources to educators, communities, and other stakeholders who are committed to improving kindergarten to grade 12 successes for Indigenous youth. In 2017-18, Indspire awarded $14.2 million through over 4,000 bursaries and scholarships to Indigenous youth, making it the largest funder of Indigenous post-secondary education outside the federal government. Each year, the organization presents the Indspire Awards, a celebration of the successes achieved by Indigenous people that is broadcast nationally.
Never has there been a better time to join this national leader. In the position of Vice-President, Communications and Marketing (C & M) reporting to the COO, you will play a leadership role in the strategic direction of communications and marketing activities. You will be responsible for the planning, development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of communications, media and public relations activities related to the strategic direction of the organization; and oversee marketing and the positioning of Indspire’s brand, mission and reputation, ensuring the ongoing presence of a consistent and positive perception in the minds of its stakeholders.
The position responsibilities of the Vice-President, Communications & Marketing include:
- Provides leadership, direction and management to the C & M team ensuring the effective implementation of all aspects of Indspire’s communications and marketing functions including clear direction, training and ongoing management of staff;
- Establishes departmental goals, timelines and deliverables in alignment with Indspire’s strategic plans;
- Oversees Indspire’s brand, including strategy, delivery, standards and guidelines for internal and external marketing activities;
- Plays a lead role in the organization’s growth strategy with respect to promotion, marketing and communications;
- Provides leadership in the development, integration, and implementation of a strategic communications plan, in alignment with Indspire’s priorities;
- As part of the Management Team, contributes to strategic planning and operational execution of the organization’s mission and mandate;
- Provides strategic leadership and guidance to the CEO, COO, and staff in all communications and marketing matters;
- Develops and implements communications/media and public relations strategies, and oversees development of all print communications;
- Directs the production of electronic and print publications and promotional assets, managing products such as the annual report, student/educator materials, program materials for events, etc.;
- Leads development and execution of annual marketing plan, directing and/or monitoring all internal and external activities;
- Provides advice and counsel to support activities in all other departments;
- Enables increased institutional revenue generation by supporting sponsor engagement and activation through Indspire events;
- Collaborates with Government Relations and Development to mobilize public engagement, awareness, and financial contributions from Canadians;
- Responsible for delivering the final “look” and ensuring consistent branding of all content going external from all departments;
- Applies up-to-date and forward-thinking knowledge to ensure communication methods include both traditional and new media, as appropriate;
- Manages departmental budget and all contracts and contractors;
- Acts as senior level media representative and ambassador for Indspire;
- Oversees the development, management, maintenance and continuous improvement/ updating of Indspire’s website and social media, consistent with and advancing the goals of the organization;
- Increases Indspire’s brand awareness through marketing and communications that promote it as a charity of choice for Indigenous education and reconciliation;
- Oversees the coordination of all advertising with creative agencies/media buyers in the distribution and placement of advertising, maintaining brand consistency;
- Oversees Indspire’s outreach program, including identifying and recommending participation in externally-hosted events and developing Indspire-hosted events;
- Delivers major events, including educator/student conferences and Awards events;
- Oversees translation and production of materials in French;
- Directs the active cultivation and maintenance of strong media relationships with relevant print, broadcast, and new media outlets and vendors;
- Directs external publicity providers, including photographers, advertising agencies etc. in the creation and delivery of communications;
- Directs writing and editing of news releases, announcements, and media alerts;
- Ensures all stakeholders are kept aware of relevant issues and, where necessary, recommends and develops an appropriate approach and response;
- Supports the Awards through media relations activities, obtaining pre and post- event publicity coverage of the live event and broadcast;
- Directs the production of materials to support the Awards, along with all communications and marketing support for the Awards and all other events.
- University degree or equivalent in communications, marketing, media or related field
- Progressive experience with minimum of 10-15 years related experience in a senior management role
- Significant senior management experience in a communications and marketing environment, directing and overseeing comprehensive strategic communications, marketing, media relations to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Demonstrated strategic leadership, ability to think outside the box and be progressive and innovative in all approaches
- Demonstrated ability to take measured risks and drive innovative strategies and messaging
- Solid experience in leading/managing staff in times of change
- Demonstrated ability to build effective internal/ external relationships and act as a trusted colleague and respected executive
- Demonstrated ability as a coach and facilitator, offering good judgment and creative problem solving
- Demonstrated experience in preparing and delivering budgets
- Knowledge of and experience in Indigenous communities strongly preferred
- Demonstrated openness to learning and willingness to engage in cultural competency training
- Knowledge of emergent communications methods, including the effective use of social media
- Excellent written, visual and oral communication skills and demonstrated experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing collateral and other print publications
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically – to build and deliver a strategic communications and marketing plan based on business objectives
- Experience as a member of a senior management team, contributing to the strategic direction of the organization
- Demonstrated capability to take initiative while working in an environment of ongoing change.
- Previous experience providing communications and marketing direction for fundraising campaigns an asset
- Ability to travel within Canada throughout the year
- French a definite asset
How to Apply
This is a full-time position based in Toronto or on Six Nations of the Grand River Territory. The salary range is competitive with a good benefit package, including pension plan. As an Indigenous organization whose mandate is to promote opportunities for Indigenous people, we encourage applications from qualified Indigenous persons and all others interested in the position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about Indspire, visit indspire.ca.
To apply, please forward your résumé, and cover letter to email@example.com. To inquire on a confidential basis, please call Donna Hall at (647) 383-8792. All qualified candidates will be contacted directly.
No agency calls please.
Deadline for Applications: July 24, 2018