Economic/Business Development Advisor (Indigenous Collaboration)
- Imperial Oil
- Calgary-based with regular business travel
- Job Category
- Business Development/Client Relations
- Job Type
Imperial is looking for an experienced economic/business development practitioner with an entrepreneurial spirit to engage with Indigenous communities in our operating areas on a common vision for sustainable prosperity. This role will support communities interested in new business incubation and/or growing existing business capacity through joint ventures and contracting opportunities. If you have a track record of building and sustaining productive relationships that deliver meaningful results in Indigenous economic/business development, we’d like to hear from you. Exceptional interpersonal and negotiation skills, sound judgment, strategic thinking and strong business acumen are fundamental to this role.
- Post-secondary training in business, economics, Indigenous policy and/or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- Knowledge and appreciation of the unique history, cultures and rights of Indigenous Peoples in Canada
- Broad experience in economic/business development with First Nations, Metis and/or Inuit communities
- Effective negotiation skills and experience in stewarding complex agreements
- Business planning and financial accounting skills
- Demonstrated success in facilitating joint ventures and other creative business partnerships
- Familiarity with community based equity participation models
- Experience with integrated supply chains and competitive procurement practices
- Awareness of commercial and workforce opportunities within the natural resource sector
- Competent in consultation, issues management and mediation
- Indigenous language(s) proficiency an advantage
- Ability to travel regularly throughout AB, ON and the NWT
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record are required
Start date: August 15, 2018
Location: Calgary-based with regular business travel
- A company committed to career growth - we recruit those who are interested in a career with Imperial and prefer to develop and promote people from within. Our career management process means that you will likely perform a number of unique, challenging roles during your career.
- Successful networking and mentoring programs - enable you to spend time with managers from across the organization to learn about other departments and opportunities. Also allows you to connect with peers at a similar experience level.
- Commitment to safety, ethics & continuous improvement – these standards are the reason Imperial is an industry leader. You will work for a company that upholds safety and ethics ideals and continues to seek out ways to improve.
- Exceptional benefits program - includes competitive savings, retirement, and healthcare plans that you can customize to meet your individual needs. A comprehensive relocation package is provided, if required. Educational and physical fitness financial assistance programs round out our benefits package.
- Continuous learning environment – encourages you to augment your skills and capabilities.
- If you are talented, driven, and want to make meaningful contributions that really impact environmental, safety and bottom line objectives, then you owe it to yourself to apply with Imperial.
Who we are
A leading member of Canada’s energy industry, Imperial offers exciting opportunities across our upstream, downstream, chemical, and corporate divisions. We are committed to high standards, applying technology and innovation to meet energy demands in a safe, reliable and environmentally sound manner. No matter what your career path, we provide the platform to elevate your goals and achieve your ambitions, while providing support through wide-ranging programs and benefits.
For applicants selected to be interviewed, pre-employment background screening will be required. We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Eligibility to work in Canada
Applicants must be permanently eligible to work in Canada. Proof of eligibility must be in the form of a copy of your Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate or Canadian certificate of permanent residence. Document must be current and valid (not expired, cancelled or voided). Proof of eligibility is required if an offer is made.
Application deadline: July 15, 2018
Imperial is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals.
In certain situations, Imperial may use your application to consider your suitability for other positions in the company and may also provide the information to its affiliates, including affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in connection with possible opportunities at those affiliates.