Director, International Missions Secretariat
Director, International Missions Secretariat
Ministry of International Trade
Do you have experience leading international trade missions? Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your strategic and business leadership skills in government? Then consider this exciting opportunity to lead the International Missions Secretariat within the Ministry of International Trade.
The International Missions Secretariat is a centre of excellence within the government of Ontario, providing end-to-end strategic program development and logistical delivery of large-scale, complex and high profile inbound and outbound international missions for the Premier, Minister of International Trade and other cabinet ministers. The Secretariat also develops strategies for proactively attracting reverse trade missions and delivering programs for incoming commercial delegations to Ontario. In this role, you will support the mandate to lead a government-wide strategic approach to deliver the planning and logistics required to successfully implement international trade missions.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Director, International Missions Secretariat, you will:
- Lead a dynamic team of professionals in the achievement of the branch’s business delivery objectives, strategies and plans.
- Direct business programming initiatives for reverse trade missions and inbound trade delegations to promote and build business growth opportunities for Ontario businesses.
- Provide strategic advice to senior executives across government, on both outbound Premier/Minister trade missions and reverse trade mission strategies.
- Build strong partnerships and work collaboratively with internal/external stakeholders to effectively lead missions planning and logistical support services.
How do I qualify?
- You have experience leading, demonstrated by delivering successful international trade missions, motivating high-performing teams, and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- You are an inspiring leader who can motivate staff to plan, develop and deliver business strategies.
- You are an effective communicator, negotiator/consensus builder and are able to work collaboratively with colleagues and divergent stakeholder positions.
- You have the flexibility and resilience required to adapt and deliver within a changing and dynamic environment.
- You have a thorough understanding of government and MIT strategic direction/goals and Ontario’s international trade objectives, programs, services and ecosystem.
- You have knowledge and experience in strategic planning of event logistics (business delegate registration, transportation, meeting, venues, accommodation, hospitality) to successfully implement international trade missions.
- You have a good understanding of Ontario’s business/economic environment to promote and showcase Ontario’s business and economic benefits to international trade delegations and potential partnerships.
- You have demonstrated experience in the planning and delivery of large-scale international missions, including providing advice and guidance on international policy and protocol matters.
- You have knowledge of Ontario Public Service (OPS) business practices and policies related to procurement, travel, meal and hospitality.
- You have experience successfully managing complex financials within an international environment.
- You have demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and influence change with senior executives in government, including other internal stakeholders.
- You understand government decision-making processes, approvals, accountability and policy development in a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
- You have demonstrated political acuity and a well-developed ability to build and maintain relationships.
- You have proven experience managing complex relationships which include multiple internal/external stakeholders and have used consultative issues management techniques to build strong linkages with your partners.
- Some international travel may be required in this position.
- Interviews for this competition to commence in June.
Location: 777 Bay Street, Toronto
Duration: 1 Permanent
Please apply online, only, by Thursday, May 17, 2018, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=123468. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Recruitment Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.