Our thriving Edmonton office is looking to add a talented and enthusiastic Community Planner to join our existing team of professional planners, engineers, and other professionals serving clients and communities across Alberta. Successful candidates will have experience providing professional planning services to a variety of Indigenous communities, municipalities, and/or land developers. This opportunity presents the successful candidate a significant growth opportunity to directly contribute to the growth of Urban Systems’ emerging Edmonton planning practise, drawing on resources both locally and across our western Canada branch offices.
Urban System community planning area of practice has been one of the strongholds of the company since our inception in 1975. Our strength is providing professional planning services to clients who are dealing with the interconnections between governance, policy, finance, community design and land use, mobility, and infrastructure. More and more of our clients are looking for innovative ideas and customized solutions based on an integrated perspective of these fields. We are looking for an experienced professional who can help us continue to build the Edmonton planning practice (with a particular emphasis on supporting our growing Indigenous communities practice area, while also supporting our municipal and land development planning practice areas), leveraging skills and experience in policy development and implementation, public engagement and communication, and client relations.
Our preferred candidate has 5-10 years of related professional planning experience working alongside clients in a consulting environment. Experienced professionals who have a proven history of excellent client advocacy skills and working alongside Indigenous communities will be given priority.
In addition, the following attributes would be considered a great benefit to this role:
- Passionate about working closely with Indigenous communities, governments, and private developers to address key community planning issues including statutory and non-statutory plans and bylaws, growth and development, community design, environmental management, and infrastructure management and planning.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of planning processes in Alberta, legislative requirements, governance models, and the preparation of policy documents.
- Experience working with Indigenous Services Canada (ISC), formerly Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC), would be an asset.
- Experience conducting research, preparing background reports, and making recommendations on various planning projects with an aptitude for problem solving, researching and analyzing information, and clearly communicating the results.
- Well-versed in the preparation and delivery of presentations, surveys and other external stakeholder and public engagement opportunities.
- Comfortable with developing and nurturing positive interpersonal relationships with people from varied backgrounds, including team members.
- Demonstrate effective communication, facilitation, and presentation skills.
- A self-starter who is interested in continuing to develop the practice with existing and new clients, including securing new work through responding to requests for qualifications and proposals in a team environment.
- Someone who thrives in a team environment, can be an integrator between disciplines and enjoys being involved with several projects at any given time.
- Ability to strengthen our professional relationships through exemplary work that meets or exceeds client needs and expectations.
- Committed to ongoing personal, professional and practice development and capacity building with team members through coaching and mentoring.
- Is a registered member of Canadian Institute of Planners, or is eligible for / working toward membership.
As this position requires travel to remote communities, a valid Class 5 Drivers Licence is required.
More search results
University of Toronto - Scarborough
Executive Assistant / Adjoint ou adjointe de dire…
Destination Canada - 349294
Awasis Agency of Northern Manitoba
Chief Executive Officer
The Legal Services Board of Nunavut
Director, Employment Strategies
United Way of Greater Toronto