Senior Project Technologist
Job ID: 2710
Burnaby (Metro Vancouver), BC
The Senior Project Technologist provides technical and functional leadership and analysis for plan and design review and feedback regarding BC Housing’s Design and Construction Standards, as they apply to HousingHub projects and development, costing, materials, construction methods, and project/contracting processes for mixed market, multi-unit residential rental and owner purchase developments. The position ensures compliance of HousingHub projects and portfolios with Design and Construction Standards, and provides an overall review of projects and contracts to ensure compatibility with project/program objectives, guidelines and administrative requirements. The Senior Project Technologist is also responsible for reviewing, maintaining and updating the Design Guidelines and Construction Standards for the HousingHub, ensuring consistency with established Development & Asset Strategies Design guidelines and Construction Standards; tracking and forecasting construction costs, maintaining the Costing database, and managing third party construction cost reviews; and developing and maintaining project and contracting procedures.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering or other relevant discipline, or applied technology diploma in architecture, engineering (civil), building technology or related field from a recognized technical college.
- Training in the following: Project Management; Quantity Surveying Principles; Construction Industry Standards including regulatory requirements; Construction Contract Administration; recommended construction practices.
- Eligible for designation as an Engineer, Quantity Surveyor, Architect or AScT (Applied Science Technologist) or CET (Certified Engineering Technologist) with Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC)
- Minimum 6 years well rounded technologist work experience in multi-unit residential development and construction
- Quantity Surveyor / Cost Consulting experience
- Considerable related field experience.
- Two years contract administration experience including significant experience with industry standard construction contracts.
- Experience inspecting new and existing buildings
Or the equivalent combination or education, training and experience
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Considerable experience, knowledge and understanding of construction and construction project management principles, and related legislation, by-laws, building codes, building design, and municipal approval and inspection processes affecting high rise and low rise residential development and construction.
- Considerable experience and knowledge of LEED or sustainability construction practices and the methods and materials relating to the construction, development, remediation and renovation of multi-unit wood frame and non-combustible residential buildings.
- Considerable knowledge of various practices relating to construction management including construction cost analysis methods and standard forms of construction contracts
- Good knowledge of construction and market trends, and current knowledge of standard construction costs
- Ability to read and critique construction drawings and estimate construction costs for new construction
- Ability to provide technical leadership, direction and mentorship to staff in construction and construction management philosophies and practices
- Superior planning, organizing, analytical, problem-solving and decisions making skills
- Strong creative and critical thinking skills and ability to exercise good judgement
- Advanced communication skills, both orally and in writing, with a broad range of audiences
- Proficient in MS Office applications and in Construction software
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence
- Willingness to travel on Commission business and work periodic evenings and weekends
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
To be considered for this competition, please submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they you meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
When applying, please submit your cover letter and application as one single document as a word or pdf file only.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.