People Plants & Homes Specialist
People, Plants & Homes Specialist
Job ID: 2664
Works with the People, Plants and Homes (PPH) Coordinator to plan, initiate and deliver the People, Plants & Homes Program to help tenants with complex needs integrate into their community, improve their physical and social wellbeing and achieve independence and self-sufficiency.
The Specialist contributes to the planning, development, coordination and evaluation of locally-driven community development initiatives aimed at gardening and food literacy. The position builds collaborative relationships within BC Housing staff, with tenant groups and other agencies to ensure that site-specific programs foster healthy, active, inclusive and supportive communities.
- Relevant diploma in a social service field
- Courses in horticulture and therapeutic horticulture preferred
- Certificate in conflict resolution preferred
- Food Safe certificate preferred
- One to two years’ experience working in programs that serve vulnerable populations, including at least one year experience in horticulture, farming or a garden related field
- Experience working in an agency or program that focused on community building
- Experience working with diverse client populations
- A suitable combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Working level knowledge of horticulture and horticultural therapy
- Knowledge of working with volunteers and vulnerable adults with different capacities
- Some knowledge of affordable housing policies, programs and planning practices, and housing management practices
- Basic knowledge of current social issues such as homelessness, mental illness and drug addiction, domestic violence, child protection and ageing
- Understanding of community development approaches
- Knowledge of government and community agencies and the services they provide
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently,
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with staff, the public, clients, community groups, and housing providers
- Strong oral and written communication, public speaking, conflict resolution and presentation skills
- Skilled in computer applications and software including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must be willing to travel and to work periodic evenings and weekends, having own dependable vehicle and valid BC driver’s license, for transporting plants, supplies and related equipment to each PPH program location
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
Please note: The successful applicant(s) will be required to complete a satisfactory criminal record check.
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
To be considered for this competition, please submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they you meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
When applying, please submit your cover letter and application as one single document as a word or pdf file only.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
More search results
University of Toronto - Scarborough
Executive Assistant / Adjoint ou adjointe de dire…
Destination Canada - 349294
Awasis Agency of Northern Manitoba
Chief Executive Officer
The Legal Services Board of Nunavut
Director, Employment Strategies
United Way of Greater Toronto