Full Time, Permanent
Tides Canada is dedicated to a healthy environment, social equity, and economic prosperity for all Canadians.
Tides Canada is seeking to fill a position that provides financial expertise to a portfolio of our shared platform projects.
Are you a finance professional dedicated to supporting others to foster success? Are you passionate about the environment and a just Canadian society? Do you have a passion for data and communicating the story behind the numbers? If so, this position at Tides Canada is for you.
About Tides Canada
From Canada’s big cities to its remote land, waters, and rural communities, Tides Canada provides uncommon solutions for the common good. Our mission is to help Canadians secure a healthy environment in ways that promote social equity and economic prosperity.
As a national charity, Tides Canada recognizes the complex environmental and social problems that we face in Canada today. That’s why we provide strategy, expertise, and tools to ensure changemakers can get from vision to impact. We partner with a growing movement of philanthropists, foundations, businesses, and governments to accelerate and amplify positive change.
From our shared platform, which enables a community of projects to share important administrative resources so more time and money goes towards impact, to our in-house strategic programs that deliver sophisticated grantmaking strategies in partnership with donors and local communities—Tides Canada is the partner for change. Join us in building a better Canada.
The Finance Specialist is the main liaison between Tides Canada Initiatives (“TCI”) project staff, the Project Specialist and the finance team. The Finance Specialist provides financial information, analysis and reporting support to TCI’s projects. This includes preparing, reviewing and approving financial reports, overseeing the integrity of project information and assisting with budgeting and financial decision-making while working collaboratively to provide support to Project Specialists, the Project Director and other finance staff. The TCI Finance Specialist interfaces regularly with project staff and assists with ongoing improvements to systems and processes.
Primary duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day support and communications to projects within TCI
- Ensure analysis and reports for project personnel, TCI operations staff and Tides Canada management are timely, accurate and meet the needs of stakeholders; reports include financial statements, grant expenses, budgets and cash forecasts, and ledger detail listings.
- Collaborate with TCI operations staff to ensure effective and efficient financial management of projects including monitoring and addressing financial health and sustainability of projects
- Assist project staff with budgeting, cash forecasting and financial analysis, decision-making and occasional strategic or business development consultation
- Provide orientation and training to project personnel on TCI financial processes and reports
- Ensure timely filing of grant proposals and reports, and assist project personnel and TCI operations staff in the management of project grants to ensure all commitments are met
- Respond to financial queries and provide technical support to project personnel, TCI operations staff, Tides Canada management and other internal and external stakeholders
- Investigate variances, reconcile accounts and submit adjustments to accounting team for entry and posting
- Prepare and post journal entry adjustments as necessary
- Ensure coding of project revenues is timely and accurate, and meets project-specific needs, TCI requirements and CRA regulations
- Work with projects, TCI operations staff and TCI Director of Finance to ensure that monitoring and tracking of political activity, fundraising activity and other T3010 reporting requirements are current and in compliance with CRA regulatory requirements
- Assist with preparation of annual financial audits, T3010 charitable information return working papers, and U.S. public support tests
- Investigate discrepancies in project financial reports and troubleshoot issues with TCI expense transactions
- Identify and collaborate on improvements to TCI systems, processes, reports and technical tools
- Prepare ad hoc reports as and when required
- Assist with maintenance and design of Netsuite and Adaptive reports as needed
This position requires a finance professional with experience in the non-profit or charitable sector, a strong customer service orientation, excellent communication skills and who enjoys complex financial reporting.
- 3-5 years full cycle accounting experience in a complex non-profit environment, preferably in a multi-program organization
- Solid understanding of current accounting principles for not for profit and charitable organizations
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience in providing financial information and reporting support to a diverse portfolio of internal clients
- Enjoy communicating financial concepts to non-financial personnel
- Superior communication skills including ability to communicate effectively via phone and email with external and internal contacts
- Proven ability to build relationships while working effectively and diplomatically with a wide range of individuals
- Superior investigative and analytical skills with the ability to identify and implement strategies for improvement
- Strong Excel skills; competence with advanced functions an asset (e.g., pivot tables, v-lookups, experience designing dynamic spreadsheets)
- Able to multi-task, juggle conflicting priorities and deliver multiple assignments in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Strong attention to detail paired with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent organizational, project management, planning, and prioritization skills
- Proven ability to work independently within a close-knit team environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- A recognized Canadian accounting designation (CPA-CA, CPA-CGA, CPA-CMA), or in final stages of achieving a designation
- Experience with Netsuite or other ERP system an asset
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM system an asset
- Experience working in an organization with multiple remote offices an asset
Attributes that help an individual successfully perform this job:
- Self-motivated with initiative /ability to work independently & effectively with minimal supervision
- Results oriented and process-improvement driven
- Adept at prioritizing work and coordinating tasks simultaneously
- Able to work in fast paced environment with quick turnaround times
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects with multiple competing priorities
Staff Benefits: Our competitive benefits package includes health and dental insurance, an Employee Assistance Program, transit reimbursement, RRSP contribution, committed colleagues, a culture of innovation, and the sense of accomplishment that comes from helping to create a more just and sustainable world.
How to Apply: Together with your resume, please forward a cover letter which includes your responses to the following questions:
- What interests you most about this position? How did you hear about it?
- Why are you looking for a change?
- Briefly tell us how your skills and experiences are a good fit for this position.
- Please briefly describe a situation where you communicated with several external clients and partners. What does providing excellent customer service look like to you?
- We have a budget range for this position, dependent on experience, that is competitive for the non-profit sector; to ensure a mutual best fit, please advise us of your minimum salary expectations.
Please send your resume and the cover letter with your responses to the above questions to email@example.com by October 22, 2017. Thank you.
Tides Canada is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and
we welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Tides Canada will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you need any accommodation.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however,
only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!
No phone calls or recruiters please.