Indspire is an Indigenous-led registered charity that invests in the education of Indigenous people for the long term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada. With the support of its funding partners, Indspire disburses financial awards, delivers programs, and shares resources with the goal of closing the gap in Indigenous education. Through Indspire’s K-12 Institute, resources are provided to educators, communities, and other stakeholders who are committed to improving kindergarten to grade 12 success for Indigenous youth. In 2016-17, Indspire awarded $11.6 million through 3,764 bursaries and scholarships to Indigenous youth, making it the largest funder of Indigenous post-secondary education outside of the federal government. Each year, the organization presents the Indspire Awards, a celebration of the successes achieved by Indigenous people that is broadcast nationally.
Never has there been a better time to join this national leader. In this newly created position as Development Officer, Individual Giving, you will report to the Director, Individual Giving and Donor Relations and play a key role in the development and execution of all aspects of Indspire’s multi-channel Individual Giving program for donors (
The position responsibilities of the Development Officer, Individual Giving include:
• Reports to and works closely with the Director, Individual Giving and Donor Relations to develop and execute all annual giving revenue programs and initiatives aimed at engaging and involving individual donors with the goal of moving them toward major and planned gifts.
• Directs and manages all aspects of Indspire’s Individual Giving program for donors (• Works with the Director, Individual Giving and Donor Relations, develops and executes an annual online fundraising strategy to ensure Indspire is maximizing industry best practices and techniques surrounding web-based fundraising.
• Provides support for individual major gifts and planned giving programs under the direction of the Director, Individual Giving and Donor Relations, including identifying possible major gift and planned giving prospects.
• Supervises development volunteers to ensure successful execution of stewardship strategies, data entry and timely acknowledgement based on Indspire’s standards.
• Prepares prospect research profiles, writes, and develops proposals and other fundraising materials as required.
• Works with colleagues in Development and Communications & Marketing, develops, plans and executes current best practice stewardship strategies for individual donors that include such tactics as printed newsletters, brochures, pledge forms, etc.
• Performs prospect research to identify and qualify potential major gift ($25k+) and leadership giving donors ($1,000 to $24,999) as well as assist in cultivation and solicitation of prospects in keeping with Indspire’s priorities and fundraising strategies.
• Creates donor communications materials including customized funding proposals/packages, gift agreements, case for support documents, briefing notes for solicitation, newsletters, stewardship reports, presentations, online content and other fund-raising materials as required.
• Provides up to date reporting and analysis of results for senior managers or other colleagues and recommends changes as required to maximize annual giving revenues.
• Works with the Development Coordinator to track, update records and record all activity for the individual giving program donors in the database and requests reports and data exports for all tactics related to individual giving programs (i.e. pulling data required for suppliers for individual giving programs and initiatives).
• Ensures the documentation and communication of standard procedures and guidelines for all donor services policies, procedures and guidelines to ensure consistency and succession planning.
• Provides superior stewardship and donor customer service, through both written and verbal communications in response to donor and prospect queries for all donors • Develops and directs donor acknowledgement, thank you letters, and file management.
• Manages the individual donor stewardship cycle by ensuring donations are acknowledged in a timely and personal manner with correspondence, phone calls and other communications for all individual donors.
• Ensures the accurate recording of all individual donor contacts in the Indspire database and the maintenance of accurate individual donor files.
• Works with the Director, Individual Giving and Donor Relations to research and help plan annual budget; monitors the Individual Giving budget ensuring annual campaign goals are met.
• Assists Director, Individual Giving, in the planning of donor cultivation events.
• Provides support as required in the planning and execution of Individual Major and Planned Giving programs.
• Acts as a contact for individual giving program suppliers to ensure we are meeting their needs for successful campaigns.
• Provides support at Indspire events and for fundraising projects as required.
• Attends functions as appropriate to promote Indspire to donors and prospects.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Director, Individual Giving and Donor Relations or the VP of Development.
• Post-secondary degree or equivalent.
• Progressive experience with a minimum of four years’ experience of demonstrated success in fundraising in the not-for-profit sector with a focus on individual giving (multi-channel fundraising).
• Working towards or having attained CFRE an asset.
• A solid understanding of the fund development and moves management process.
• Knowledge of and experience in Indigenous communities preferred.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and public relations skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all donors, volunteers and other stakeholders.
• Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects, deadlines and priorities.
• Collaborative team player that displays initiative.
• Highly computer literate and the ability to work effectively with fundraising software to drive results.
• Ability to work with sensitive information with complete confidentiality.
• Occasional travel between Six Nations and Toronto offices is required.
• Bilingualism is an asset.
• Must be able to work occasional evening and weekends and possess a willingness to travel within Canada.
How to Apply
This is a full-time position and will be based in Indspire’s Toronto office. The salary range is competitive with a great benefit package, including pension plan. We are an Indigenous organization whose mandate is to promote opportunities for Indigenous people. We encourage applications from qualified Indigenous persons and all others interested in the position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about Indspire, visit indspire.ca.
To apply, please forward your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or to inquire on a confidential basis, please call Donna Hall at 647-383-8792. All qualified candidates will be contacted directly.
No agency calls please.
Deadline for Applications: October 11th, 2017