Property Portfolio Manager
Job ID: 2532
The Property Portfolio Manager (PPM) is responsible for the management and control of property management and tenant support services for all directly managed social housing, and in some cases, group homes and market housing within an assigned area. The tenant population is diverse and includes seniors, people with mental or physical disabilities, substance addictions, individuals at risk of homelessness, women and children fleeing abuse, First Nations people and low income families.
The PPM performs some or all of the following responsibilities. The position contributes to the development and implementation of a property management plan for each housing complex that incorporates the facility condition index, characteristics of the tenant population and required/available community support services. The incumbent leads multi-functional teams in delivering a range of programs and services to ensure successful tenancies, the safety and well-being of tenants, and effective operation, maintenance and repair of the buildings. In addition, the PPM may manage activities relating to market-housing properties. The incumbent liaises with multiple government and community stakeholders in resolving property management and tenant issues, and represents BC Housing in tenancy and court hearings. The majority of PPMs will have direct supervisory responsibility for a team of Building Managers and Janitors, and in some cases a Tenant Support Worker. The position may be required to provide contract administration for site representatives in the outer Regions.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as Business Administration, including university level courses in property management.
- Courses from the Urban Land Diploma Program – Property Management Option or equivalent may be an asset.
- Additional courses in negotiation, mediation or conflict resolution preferred.
- Considerable related experience (minimum 5 years) at a senior level in property management and contract administration, preferably in the social housing sector involving the delivery of social and community based programs and services.
- Supervisory experience required, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Preferred: Certified Property Manager designation (CPM) through the Institute of Real Estate Management OR Real Property Administrator designation (RPA) through the Building Owners and Managers Institute OR Real Estate Institute of BC designation (R.I.(B.C.)
OR equivalent and acceptable combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the philosophies, principles and practices of property management, particularly in the social housing sector
- Sound knowledge of current social issues facing tenant populations such as homelessness, mental illness and drug addiction, domestic violence, child protection and ageing
- Thorough knowledge of building structures and systems and an ability to recognize deficiencies and prepare summaries of work required
- Excellent negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution skills and ability to negotiate contracts, mediate disputes and resolve conflict situations
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Ability to plan and coordinate the delivery of a broad range of property management and tenant support services, function as an effective team leader, and make decisions based on an analysis of a range of issues and problems
- Ability to summarize and explain complex program information and funding requirements
- Ability to build consensus with multiple stakeholders, often with conflicting agendas; display tact and diplomacy to deal with a broad range of professions and community stakeholders; and be a socially sensitive administrator
- Ability to travel on frequent basis
Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
The benefits of joining a Top Employer!
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
All of our employees are rewarded with a competitive remuneration package and a host of great benefits. We’re also a social and inclusive team that supports our people through ongoing training and learning opportunities. We genuinely appreciate the amazing effort our people bring to each and every day and so we have Rewards and Recognition programs that celebrate great effort, long service, environmental awareness, good ideas and positive change.
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
To be considered for this competition, please submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they you meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
**When applying, please submit your cover letter and application as one single document as a word or pdf file only.**
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.