School District 67 (Okanagan Skaha)
VICE PRINCIPAL of ABORIGINAL EDUCATION
Okanagan Skaha School District is seeking applications from an experienced educational leader to assume the position of Vice Principal of Aboriginal Education, effective August 1, 2017, (or a mutually agreeable date). The position will report to the District Principal of District Programs and Curriculum.
As a member of District Staff, the Vice Principal of Aboriginal Education will provide leadership and assume a wide range of responsibilities aimed at leading and promoting Aboriginal educational and cultural initiatives across the district.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
* Demonstrated ability to promote the goals of an Aboriginal Education Enhancement Agreement between a School District, the Aboriginal Education Council and the Ministry of Education
* A strong commitment to student success and to parent and community involvement
* The ability to work closely with the District’s Aboriginal Education Council
* A commitment to working in partnership with Aboriginal communities
* The ability to promote cooperation and unity of purpose among staff and students resulting in an integrated approach to Aboriginal Education
* The ability to coordinate with schools in the development and implementation of the K-12 curriculum with a focus on embedding indigenous perspective
* The ability to provide in-service related to Aboriginal resources, teaching strategies and cultural issues to teachers and support staff
* The ability to increase traditional cultural knowledge and its applications to the provincial curriculum
* Effective liaison with the Penticton Indian Band and Aboriginal community organizations
* The ability to serve as the resource and contact person for teachers and Certified Education Assistants working in the Aboriginal Education program from K to 12.
* The ability to plan and guide implementation measures intended to improve Aboriginal student success
* Extensive knowledge & understanding of Aboriginal history, culture & contemporary issues
* Membership in the B.C. College of Teachers
* Masters of Education in Educational Leadership or a related field
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational and team-building skills
* All qualified candidates will be considered; however, preference will be given to qualified candidates with Aboriginal ancestry
The School District
SD No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha), representing the communities of Penticton, Summerland, Kaleden, and Naramata, serves the educational needs of approximately 5700 students through 11 elementary, 3 middle, 3 secondary schools and 1 DL school.
Our school district has a proud history of excellent student achievement across a wide range of accomplishment areas: Academics, fine arts, athletics, career programs, French Immersion, and applied skills with a focus on meeting the individual needs of all learners.
The communities are nestled on the sides of Skaha and Okanagan Lakes in the heart of wine and fresh fruit country. Apex Mountain Ski Resort, named nationally and North America-wide as one of the finest small destination ski areas, is an easy 45-minute drive from Penticton. The combination of good working conditions, strong community support for schooling, and excellent recreational amenities makes the area a highly desirable home.
For further community information on Penticton see:
Applicants can also contact Mr. Jason Corday at (250) 770-7700, local 6496
or by e-mail at email@example.com to discuss this position.
Application closing date: June 26, 2017
Interview Process: July 10 and 11, 2017
Starting date: August 1, 2017
Resumes including references familiar with your professional performance, supporting documents, transcripts, and a brief statement of educational and administrative philosophy should be sent to:
Mr. Jason Corday
Director of Instruction/HR
SD No. 67 (Okanagan Skaha)
425 Jermyn Avenue
Penticton, BC V2A 1Z4
Fax: (250) 770-7730
We appreciate all interest in this position; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.