Reporting to the Director, Neighbourhoods, the Manager, Neighbourhoods is responsible for managing and coordinating United Way Toronto & York Region’s (UWTYR) neighbourhood strategy with partners in communities across the city of Toronto and York Region and to identify opportunities for UWTYR investment and support.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING (MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES):
- Provide advice and guidance to partners on community development, neighbourhood planning, resident engagement and participation, partnership development, strategic planning, and governance to support the effective implementation of UWTYR’s neighbourhood strategy
- Establish partnership contracts and memoranda of understanding, oversee achievement of key project deliverables, and financial accountability
- Collaborate extensively within the team and across departments to ensure UWTYR’s priorities and goals are achieved
- Provide coaching, mentoring and capacity building support to agencies and community partners in partnership with UWTYR capacity building team
- Participate in appropriate external committees and liaise with key stakeholders, other funders, academic institutions, and governments, within and beyond individual neighbourhoods for the purposes of information exchange, policy development, and capacity building support and to promote UWTYR’s various initiatives and investments for strengthening neighbourhoods
- Plan and manage implementation of projects of varying size and complexity
- Identify social and community issues to be addressed in neighbourhood based policy development in coordination with the Communication and Public Policy team
- Develop cross-neighbourhood plans for learning and reflection on UWTYR’s neighbourhood work
- Present to various stakeholders on the neighbourhood strategy and UWTYR
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR (QUALIFICATIONS):
- More than 3 years of experience in community development, community organizing and/or resident engagement work, neighbourhood planning, local economic development, project development and management
- Post-secondary education in community development, social services or a related field or equivalent work-related experience
- Experience working with social services providers, community coalitions and networks, and funders
- Sound knowledge of the human services sector in Toronto and York Region, of the challenges facing Toronto and York Region’s underserved communities, and place-based strategies to address local priorities
Proven organizational skills, including ability to take initiative, manage competing priorities, meet deadlines under pressure, and carry projects to completion with minimum supervision
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to assess new opportunities and use independent judgement to problem solve
- Ability to influence, negotiate and manage contentious issues to resolution with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage, foster and grow constituent relationships with community members, volunteers, non-profit organizations and funders
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work respectfully and inclusively with diverse populations and multiple stakeholders
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and week-ends
Interested candidates please submit your cover letter and resume no later than Friday, May 26th, 2017 at 5:00 pm EST to: C8139@uwgt.org and please indicate where you saw the job posting.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that due to the volume of resumes, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
UWTYR offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process. If you are contacted by UWTYR regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.