Communications and Marketing Specialist, Vancouver or Toronto
Full Time, Permanent
Starting as soon as possible
Tides Canada is dedicated to a healthy environment, social equity,
and economic prosperity for all Canadians.
Are you passionate about the environment and a just Canadian society? Are you a skilled communications and marketing professional that enjoys developing diverse, creative campaigns and stories? Are you someone who is willing to learn and excels in a dynamic, collaborative, and supportive team environment? Are you organized and analytical with knowledge of media and social media best practices? If so, Tides Canada is the place for you.
Tides Canada is seeking to fill a position in our Communications & Marketing team. The successful candidate will play a key role in supporting the development and execution of the Communications & Marketing plan and strategy for Tides Canada.
About Tides Canada
From Canada’s big cities to its remote land, waters, and rural communities, Tides Canada provides uncommon solutions for the common good. Our mission is to help Canadians secure a healthy environment in ways that promote social equity and economic prosperity.
As a national charity, Tides Canada recognizes the complex environmental and social problems that we face in Canada today. That’s why we provide strategy, expertise, and tools to ensure changemakers can get from vision to impact. We partner with a growing movement of philanthropists, foundations, businesses, and governments to accelerate and amplify positive change.
From our shared platform, which enables a community of projects to share important administrative resources so more time and money goes towards impact, to our in-house strategic programs that deliver sophisticated grantmaking strategies in partnership with donors and local communities—Tides Canada is the partner for change. Join us in building a better Canada.
This position reports to the Interim Manager, Communications & Marketing. As a member of the Communications & Marketing team, you will work cross-functionally to develop, support, and contribute to the successful activation and strategy of overall communications and marketing activities for Tides Canada. You will work on a wide range of ongoing and project-based communications and marketing activities, with specific emphasis on developing content/editorial and supporting programmatic work and media relations.
Duties will include but may not be limited to:
- Support of cross-departmental marketing and communications strategy and execution for Tides Canada program work, including that of our Shared Platform and Strategic Programs teams
- Support fundraising communications and marketing including direct solicitations, stewardship, campaigns, and fundholder newsletters
- Coordinate annual giving campaign with Development team
- Support the research, creation, editing, and production of online and print content for internal and external audiences, including but not limited to stories (ideas, leads, interviews, writing, sharing), testimonial interviews, case statements, social media/blogs/website content, e-news articles, website content, fundraising and stewardship materials (letters, appeals, cases for support), reports/presentations, news releases and issues briefs, key messaging for a range of audiences
- Conduct media monitoring and support media and news release development, planning, distribution, and outreach
- Support issues management and media/public relations strategy, including consultation for Shared Platform projects, management team, and Program Leads
- Help develop creative social media content and campaigns
- Support social media monitoring and analytics
- Provide website support including updates, analytics, reporting, and recommendations for improvement
- Support team liaison work across internal fundraising, grantmaking, and shared platform departments
- Design and layout materials including reports, brochures, social media graphics, infographics, etc. and oversee print production
- Help ensure brand guidelines and graphics are observed across the organization and our visual identity is recognized with partners and projects
- Maintain organization style guide, editorial calendar, and image library
- Develop and execute email campaigns
- Support database/communications preferences coordination
- Liaise with external partners, vendors and contractors to execute projects
- Provide event support
- Support the strategy and communications around our shared platform (our operating charity arm composed of approximately 40 projects) including:
- Project and team support
- Brand training and compliance
- Social media promotion
- Web and portal maintenance
- E-newsletter review
- Issues management
- Support fee for service work to clients including research, writing, design, and editing
- Assist with internal communications activities including e-newsletter, staff engagement activities, intranet, and consultation to other departments
- Regularly provide status reports on ongoing projects and post-campaign reporting
The ideal candidate will preferably have relevant post-secondary education in communications or a related discipline, with 3-4 years’ experience in the following:
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Experience in web management with proficiency in HTML and in using a CMS (Wordpress preferred)
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Experience with social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram) and general understanding of different platforms and best practices
- Familiarity with media, social media, and web monitoring and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, AdWords, Hootsuite
- Experience with email systems such as Mailchimp, Predictive Response, etc.
- Advanced computer skills including the use of MS Office applications
- Familiarity with SEO and website development and design best practices
- Familiarity with leading and current communications and marketing and media technologies and industry best practices
- Experience in all stages of print development and production
- Ability to learn and adapt
- Project management skills with attention to detail
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and clients across the organization with conflicting priorities and deadlines
- Strong interest in the non-profit sector
- Experience working closely with a creative agency or a multitude of stakeholder groups to develop and execute marketing campaigns
- Understanding of the organization’s CRM platform Salesforce is an asset
- Familiarity with Sharepoint is an asset
Staff Benefits: Our competitive benefits package includes health and dental insurance, an Employee Assistance Program, transit reimbursement, RRSP contribution, committed colleagues, a culture of innovation and the sense of accomplishment that comes from helping to create a more just and sustainable world.
How to Apply: Together with your resume, please forward a cover letter, which includes your responses to the following questions:
- How did you hear about this position, and what interests you most about it?
- Why are you looking for a change?
- Briefly tell us how your skills and experiences are a good fit for this position.
- In what area of communications and marketing are you looking to deepen your skills?
- We have a budget range for this position, dependent on experience, which is competitive for the non-profit sector; to ensure a mutual best fit, please advise us of your minimum salary expectations. Thank you!
Please send your resume and the cover letter with your responses to the above questions, with “Application for Communications and Marketing Specialist” in the subject line, to
email@example.com by May 21, 2017.
Tides Canada is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and
we welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Tides Canada will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you need any accommodation.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however,
only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!
No phone calls or recruiters please.