Full Time, Permanent
Tides Canada is dedicated to a healthy environment, social equity,
and economic prosperity for all Canadians.
Tides Canada is seeking to fill a newly created position that provides financial and reporting expertise to a portfolio of our strategic programs and shared platform projects.
Are you a career finance professional dedicated to supporting others to foster success? Do you have a passion for data and communicating the story behind the numbers? Do you bring focus and strategic thinking to the teams you work with? If so, we’d love to meet you!
About Tides Canada
From Canada’s big cities to its remote land, waters, and rural communities, Tides Canada provides uncommon solutions for the common good. Our mission is to help Canadians secure a healthy environment in ways that promote social equity and economic prosperity.
As a national charity, Tides Canada recognizes the complex environmental and social problems that we face in Canada today. That’s why we provide strategy, expertise, and tools to ensure changemakers can get from vision to impact. We partner with a growing movement of philanthropists, foundations, businesses, and governments to accelerate and amplify positive change.
From our shared platform, which enables a community of projects to share important administrative resources so more time and money goes towards impact, to our in-house strategic programs that deliver sophisticated grantmaking strategies in partnership with donors and local communities—Tides Canada is the partner for change. Join us in building a better Canada.
The Finance Specialist supports both the strategic programs and shared platform teams in financial analysis and reporting, including preparation of budgets, monitoring and analysis of budget variances, financial analysis and reporting to both internal and external stakeholders. The role also works with the Financial Analyst to prepare annual compliance returns, and surfaces issues regarding data integrity and internal controls. Key responsibilities will include but may not be limited to:
Strategic Programs Support (approx, 40%)
- Liaise with program staff to create/review/revise proposal budgets for restricted program fundraising opportunities
- Create/review/adjust as necessary monthly budget variance reports for programmatic funds and review with program staff
- Review/adjust/upload programmatic and funder budgets within Adaptive and provide to program staff
- Create/review/adjust financial reports to funders and review with program and project staff
- Maintain recurring monthly journal entries for programmatic funds
- Maintain payroll coding as required in conjunction with Assistant Controller and other Finance Specialists
- Advise program staff on financial implications and best practice for current or upcoming program activities
Shared Platform Support (approx, 40%)
- Provide day-to-day support and communications to projects within Tides Canada Initiatives Society (TCI)
- Ensure analysis and reports for project staff, TCI operations staff and Tides Canada management are timely, accurate and meet the needs of stakeholders; reports include financial statements, grant expenses, budgets and cash forecasts, and ledger detail listings
- Collaborate with TCI operations staff to ensure effective and efficient financial management of projects including monitoring and addressing financial health and sustainability of projects
- Assist project staff with budgeting, cash forecasting and financial analysis and decision-making and occasional strategic or business development consultation
- Ensure timely filing of grant proposals and reports, and assist project staff and TCI operations staff in the management of project grants to ensure all commitments are met
- Respond to financial queries and provide technical support to project staff, TCI operations staff, Tides Canada management and other internal and external stakeholders
- Investigate variances, reconcile accounts and submit adjustments to accounting team for entry and posting
- Prepare and post journal entry adjustments as necessary
- Ensure coding of project revenues is timely and accurate, is compliant with all relevant statutes and regulations, and meets project-specific needs and TCI requirements
- Work with projects and TCI operations staff to ensure that monitoring and tracking of political activity, fundraising activity and other T3010 reporting requirements are current and in compliance with CRA regulatory requirements
- Investigate discrepancies in project financial reports and troubleshoot issues
- Identify and collaborate on improvements to TCI systems, processes, reports and technical tools
- Prepare ad hoc reports as and when required
Development Support (approx, 10%)
- Create/review/adjust/distribute monthly donor reports for small group of donor advised funds
- Create/distribute/adjust/distribute quarterly fund statements for all donor advised funds
- Track and review budget vs actual fundraising targets on a regular ongoing basis using Salesforce and other supplemental tracking systems
Operations Support (approx. 10%)
- Create/distribute/adjust as necessary monthly department budget variance reports for Department Managers
- Adjust as required operations budgets within Adaptive, working with Financial Analyst
- Assist with preparation of annual regulatory filings (T3010 and IRS 990)
- Assist with the preparation of annual report financials
- Assist with the preparation of audit working papers
- Other duties as required by the Financial Analyst and Director of Finance
This position requires a finance professional with experience in the non-profit or charitable sector, a strong customer service orientation, excellent communication skills and who enjoys complex financial reporting. We are looking for candidates with:
- A recognized Canadian accounting designation (CPA-CA, CPA-CGA, CPA-CMA), or in final stages of achieving a designation.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field, diploma in accounting, or equivalent
- Three to four years full cycle accounting and financial reporting/analysis in a complex non-profit environment, preferably in a multi-program organization with multiple locations
- Solid understanding of current accounting principles for not for profit and charitable organizations
- Strong customer service orientation
- Superior communication skills including ability to communicate effectively via phone and email with external and internal contacts
- Proven ability to build relationships while working effectively and diplomatically with a wide range of individuals
- Experience in providing financial information and reporting services to a diverse portfolio of internal clients, including some non-financial personnel, including experience in writing ad-hoc reports
- Demonstrated ability to produce concise and complex financial reports; must be able to interpret, explain, report on and provide advice on a variety of accounting, budgetary and financial management issues
- Superior investigative and analytical skills with the ability to identify and implement strategies for improvement
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office with exceptional Excel skills; competence with advanced functions an asset (e.g., pivot tables, v-lookups, experience designing dynamic spreadsheets)
- Experience with Salesforce (or other complex ERP or donor system), Adaptive or NetSuite an asset
- Training in Adaptive or similar (Crystal Reports, SQL Reporting Services)
- Proven ability to work effectively and diplomatically with a wide range of individuals at all organizational levels
- Proven ability to work independently within a close-knit team environment
- Proven ability to quickly learn complex business structures and accompanying system of coding and classification of financial transactions
- Experience working in an organization with multiple remote offices
- Prior experience in reviewing fee for service contracts and grant agreements preferred
Attributes that help an individual successfully perform this job:
- Self-motivated with initiative /ability to work independently & effectively with minimal supervision
- Results oriented and process-improvement driven
- Adept at prioritizing work and coordinating tasks simultaneously
- Able to work in fast paced environment with quick turnaround times
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects with multiple competing priorities
- Experience solving complex quantitative business challenges
- Willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done
- Show flexibility and ability to adapt to changing work environment and requirements
- Strong team player with a can-do attitude and focus on a win-win philosophy
Staff Benefits: Our competitive benefits package includes health and dental insurance, an Employee Assistance Program, transit reimbursement, RRSP contribution, committed colleagues, a culture of innovation, and the sense of accomplishment that comes from helping to create a more just and sustainable world.
How to Apply: Together with your resume, please forward a cover letter which includes your responses to the following questions:
- What interests you most about this position? How did you hear about it?
- Why are you looking for a change?
- Briefly tell us how your skills and experiences are a good fit for this position.
- Briefly tell us how you think you will have a positive impact in our organization.
- We have a budget range for this position, dependent on experience, that is competitive for the non-profit sector; to ensure a mutual best fit, please advise us of your minimum salary expectations. Thank you.
Please send your resume and the cover letter with your responses to the above questions to
email@example.com by May 17, 2017. Thank you.
Tides Canada is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and
we welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Tides Canada will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you need any accommodation.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however,
only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!
No phone calls or recruiters please