Reporting to the Department Manager, the Business Analyst (BA) is responsible for providing business process and systems expertise, as well as research and analysis services, to develop, support, and maintain, hardware and software resources within the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE). Working collaboratively with staff and faculty, and through active relationship building with key internal / external stakeholders, the incumbent contributes significantly to assessing ECE’s ongoing and emerging technology needs, to establishing and attaining ECE customer service and availability standards, and to solving technical issues in collaboration with the ECE Technologists. The BA is responsible for identifying gaps and opportunities to enhance applications and / or process changes, and helps determine the strategy for an effective and enhanced integration of technical resources, partnering with other Information Technology (IT) providers on campus as required. The incumbent also ensures appropriate communication and training support for applications and process changes and is responsible for providing technical work input to the ECE technologists.
- Works with the ECE computing committee to outline and create strategic directions for technology in teaching and learning within ECE.
- Advises on the effective choice of providers (external, Queen’s IT, FEAS IT, ECE) for the range of services provided to ECE customers. Networks with providers to ensure collaborative, reciprocal and seamless delivery of services.
- Provides analytical, technical and educational support for a variety of technologies including a wide variety of computer hardware and software systems, laboratory equipment, and curriculum development systems, utilizing expertise to aid in the effective planning, design, development and implementation of technical resources.
- Supports the decision making process when conflicting requirements or processes are identified by initiating and facilitating consensus building sessions with stakeholders.
- Establishes customer service and systems availability standards. In collaboration with the ECE Technologists, solves technical issues and ensures availability of all ECE systems and equipment Provides analytical support in quality reviews and ensures adherence to standard project and business analysis methodology.
- Helps to effectively manage risk by anticipating challenges, investigating issues and making recommendations that could have cross functional impact.
- Informs management of any information that may identify challenges to project schedules, missed project deliverables, incomplete tasks and / or inaccurate results.
- Remains current on evolving system and business process capability by ensuring technical and business skill competencies are continually developed in relevant area(s).
- Investigates and identifies emerging technologies and business process improvements to better enhance computer resources, consulting with faculty and / or IT partners as required.
- Partners with Faculty and / or University IT groups to design, develop, and deliver appropriate technology based on a complete analysis of options, resources estimates, and / or risk/benefit analysis.
- Reviews and edits business requirements and processes, making changes to meet user needs and system requirements, ensuring necessary level of clarity achieved.
- Creates and / or updates business process training materials and/ or documentation as needed. Coordinates and / or delivers training in various formats to faculty or staff when required.
- Undertakes other duties as required in support of the department.
- Provides work coordination, and technical guidance for ECE technical services. Schedules and assigns work issues in the ECE electronic ticket system. Coordinates and monitors work flow and ensures timely feedback is provided by technical staff on work progress to customers. Provides feedback on work quality issues and resource requirements. Escalates unresolved system performance and/or system availability matters to management.
- Identifies key training opportunities for the technical team and identifies on-the-job training as required.
- University degree in Computer Engineering or related area of study
- Several years of relevant experience working with administrative information systems, preferably in a University environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of business analysis discipline (training and / or certification)
- Previous leadership and / or supervisory experience considered to be an asset
- Proven experience with, and / or formal training in, web based administrative systems and the implementation of new technology solutions
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advanced knowledge of computers and networks combined with an ability to integrate technology into the work environment in order to maximize efficiency and availability.
- Clear and concise writing skills with the ability to produce documentation and technical support materials.
- Effective facilitation, leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Strong technical, research, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate technical solutions to users in a clear and understandable way.
- Effective interpersonal, listening and business relationship abilities to interact with others
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Strong results orientation with an ability to self-motivate and prioritize multiple tasks and manage strict deadlines.
- Ability to work on own with minimal supervision and as a team member
- Capable of taking initiative to investigate and resolve issues, applying technical expertise in analysis and resolution of system problems.
- Ability to lead and deliver implementation of new technology solutions
- Demonstrated computer programming expertise
- Make decisions regarding design set-up, definition and building, and related aspects within functional area, ensuring minimal disruption to workflow. Determine how best to engage stakeholders to further enhance integration of information systems and effective business service delivery.
- Facilitates decision making process by providing input into the strategic direction of technology for the department, recommending changes designed to enhance departmental effectiveness and efficiency as well as leveraging all identified participants and stakeholders.
- Determine type and level of information needed by management to support decisions making, or if and when escalation is needed.
- Make decisions based on results achieved through consensus building sessions which have a direct impact on how requirements and deliverables are established.
- Determine most effective method and / or strategy to identify opportunities, present information and gather requirements when working with stakeholders, conveying potential impact of business decisions on systems and supporting processes.
- Set work expectations and task due dates aligned with business/production/system change requirement deadlines.
- Determine completeness of all related process tasks aligned with department’s priorities. Find solutions for unanticipated problems with defined parameters and determines how problem and recommended solution may affect information systems and / or business processes.
- Determine appropriate strategy and content when developing training documents and / or technical support materials.
- Allocate time, prioritize tasks and determine workflow. Continually assess and adjust priorities and manage tasks in a fast-paced and demanding environment. Assess the nature of a request and provide assistance to faculty, staff and students as appropriate.
- Assess suitability of job candidates and recommend the most appropriate person for hire.
- Determine priorities and make decisions about resource utilization and the assignment of resources to achieve optimum efficiencies and productivity. Monitor and assess output, quality, and customer satisfaction with services delivered by the ECE technical team.
- Recommend need for formal training or development plans to management.
Please click http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/apps/jps/external.php and apply to position number 2016-052. Please be sure to follow the instructions under the ‘Application Procedure’ link.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To comply with Federal laws, the University is obliged to gather statistical information about how many applicants for each job vacancy are Canadian citizens/ permanent residents of Canada. Applicants need not identify their country of origin or citizenship, however, all applications must include one of the following statements: I am a Canadian citizen/permanent resident of Canada; OR, I am not a Canadian citizen/permanent resident of Canada. Applications that do not include this information will be deemed incomplete.