To coordinate OFIFC’s public communications, public relations, public profile and Social Media activities. This includes working with staff on various communications tasks, such as marketing, public education and branding activities.
- Culture - Takes personal responsibility to increase sensitivity, awareness and implementation of OFIFC’s Neha (bundle) including foundational teachings and organisational practices in both professional conduct and work-related deliverables.
- Accountability - Takes personal ownership and responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work commitments.
- Critical Thinking - Applies systematic, logical reasoning when addressing problems or situations in order to arrive at an appropriate solution or outcome.
- Building Relationships and Strategic Partnerships - Builds, develops and sustains business relationships / strategic partnerships that are mutually beneficial, reciprocal and grounded in trust and respect. It is recognising we are all interdependent and working towards the common good of the organisation.
- Results Orientation - Accomplishes established goals, delivers the outcomes required and achieves the results. It includes the efficient and effective use of all resources (time, financial, people and technology).
- Teamwork and Collaboration - Works collaboratively with others and addresses conflict in a win-win productive manner. This includes a mindset of “sharing” with others whether it is knowledge, recognition, information and skills. Working towards a common purpose for the good of OFIFC and the communities of people it serves.
- Communication - Effectively delivers information in a transparent, honest and clear manner. It includes actively listening, comprehending and responding appropriately when interacting with people. It is about being respectful when expressing opinions and points of view.
- Superior listening, oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to prepare plain language materials for the general public on a variety of complex and technical reports and information
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and develop constructive relationships in various settings
- Thorough understanding of complex historical, economic, political and social factors that have an impact on current urban Indigenous people
- Public Speaking Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Team Player
- Attention to Detail
- Completion of post-secondary education in Communications or relevant field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in basic Communications
- Experience in producing and maintaining social media
- Experience working within an Indigenous organisation desirable
Works in a safe and suitable office environment faced with simultaneous and tight deadlines.
40 hour work week that may include evenings and weekends as requested for attendance at OFIFC’s AGM and Board meetings. Minimal travel required (1 – 2 times per year).
To ensure OFIFC’s overall communications and social media needs are addressed and coordinated in a consistent, professional manner and are aligned with OFIFC’s long-range strategic plan.
Primarily communicates with the Executive Director for direction and approvals. Communicates with staff to provide support and guidance within area of expertise.
Communicates with Suppliers/Vendors, Government and Strategic Partners for the purposes of sharing program information, negotiation from direction, collaborating and ensuring deliverables are being met.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of the public and corporate image of OFIFC includes ensuring consistency in branding OFIFC materials and communications approaches;
- Oversees the production and distribution of OFIFC reports, newsletters, information packages, communiqués, studies, and research findings for the public;
- Researches, prepares, edits and produces appropriate communications presentations, publications, plans and related documents;
- Maintains a photograph library to be used in OFIFC communications and media activities;
- Develops strategic initiatives to assist workgroups adhere to Contribution Agreements in areas of external communications, public awareness and education campaigns;
- Reviews, revises, develops Communications guidelines, systems frameworks, models, agendas, priorities and strategies through appropriate approval processes to ensure effective management;
- Coordinates related communication, public relations, corporate communication products and responses on behalf of OFIFC;
Media Relations and Social Media (30%):
- Undertakes all aspects of media liaison and OFIFC social media activities;
- Monitors and analyses the media reports and improves urban Indigenous issue developments and coverage in the media including increasing the visibility of the Friendship Centre movement, individual Friendship Centres and the OFIFC;
- Maintains, collects and formats information for the OFIFC website;
- Coordinates OFIFC media, relations and social media response activities;
- Acts as chairperson, technician, facilitator, spokesperson in fora or meetings convened to discuss public relations initiatives, directions or responses;
- Maintains and upgrades professional skills;
- Promotes a healthy, safe work environment; and
- Performs other duties, related to the position, as assigned by the Executive Director or designate.