Senior Communications Specialist
Job ID: 2362
Short Term (Full Time)
Burnaby (Metro Vancouver), BC
As a Senior Communications Specialist with the Events & Sponsorship team at BC Housing, you will have the opportunity to work on high-profile events across BC. Your role will require you to engage directly with senior political officials and leaders across the housing sector. In many situations, you will be the key ‘point person’ ensuring BC Housing events are successful.
The Senior Communications Specialist provides strategic communications planning, media relations, issues management, materials production, and event management services in support of new housing and homeowner protection programs and initiatives.
This position includes opportunities to travel across the province executing high-profile housing program announcements, groundbreakings and building openings.
You are communications professional with a knack for planning well organized and engaging events. You have a strong attention to detail, sharp negotiation skills and a keen sense of diplomacy.
You understand the role social media plays in the public sector and are equally comfortable using your writing skills to draft an event proposal, news release or a finely crafted tweet.
Your organizational, issues management, internal and external communications skills will be put to the test in a challenging public sector environment.
Degree or advanced diploma in communications or relevant discipline.
Minimum 4 years progressively more complex and responsible work experience in corporate communications, including experience in a government setting and/or with non-profit community groups.
Strong experience in event planning and delivery communications planning, issues management, media relations.
Or a suitable combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of communications, specifically in the public sector environment
- Advanced skills in planning, organizing and delivering high profile events.
- Demonstrated ability as a strong writer and editor
- Demonstrated ability to work with social media platforms (twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to write, prepare and post content to websites (internal and external)
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement communication strategies
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently with Microsoft Office tools (especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Good oral communications and presentation skills
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve, mediate and mitigate difficult situations
- Ability to work with agencies and contractors
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and as a team player
- Strong organizational and time-management skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines and pressures, with scrupulous attention to details
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner
- A high degree of judgement, discretion and decision-making ability
Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
To apply, please visit www.bchousing.org/careers
BC Housing—one of BC's Top Employers for 2016—is the provincial Crown agency that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
When applying, please submit a cover letter and your application in **one** single document as a word or pdf file only.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.