Audit Services Specialist
Job ID: 2352 - Excluded
Short Term/Full Time
Burnaby (Metro Vancouver), BC
The Audit Services Specialist provides audit and investigative services that promote economy, efficiency, and integrity in the administration of BC Housing’s subsidy programs. This position is responsible for detecting and deterring fraud and misrepresentations in tenant’s income and asset declarations and other information provided for subsidy programs. The Audit Services Specialist conducts compliance audits under various programs covering a wide variety of tenants and housing providers. Programs audited may be new and/or result from a shifting emphasis on existing programs, and interrelate extensively with several other major programs or cross organizational or regional lines, requiring coordination in planning and execution among the various programs. The Audit Services Specialist also performs internal audits to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and special reviews. Audit recommendations may result in cost savings, program improvement and program/organizational re-alignment.
You bring to the role:
University degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent combination of education and /or work experience, preferably, in an investigative or compliance role in the public sector.
- Completion of recognized auditing and taxation courses preferred.
- Sound related experience in areas such as compliance auditing, monitoring and investigating financial information, income testing, subsidy or taxation review, preferably in the public sector
- Some knowledge of auditing standards and procedures required in a public sector financial, administrative and systems environment
- Some knowledge and understanding of the legislation, policies and programs of BC Housing is preferred, particularly those affecting tenants and housing providers
- Some understanding of income tax rules, income tax returns and supporting tax schedules in order to audit tenant income and asset declarations
- Ability to independently perform income verification procedures on tenants and report on findings
- Ability to effectively communicate with tenants in a social housing environment
- Ability to review basic financial statements and independently perform reconciliation of financial records, complete income verification audits and report on findings
- Proficiency in accessing and comprehension of several government agency information databases such as BC Online and TransUnion.
- Ability to coordinate work with others, adapt to changing priorities and complete projects in accordance with tight timelines
- Ability to use sound judgment in analyzing problems and in identifying weaknesses and conflicts in policies and procedures
- Sound analytical, problem solving, organizational and time management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, relationship management, public speaking and presentation skills
- Effective interpersonal skills in dealing with clients with diplomacy and tact
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of computers and MS Office, and ability to adapt quickly to in-house applications. Ability to work independently and as an effective team member
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information and exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Ability to work with personnel of varying skill levels and backgrounds within and outside the organization
- Ability to work efficiently in a multi-tasked environment
- Ability to travel throughout the province to conduct audits and special reviews, if required
▪ Personal Effectiveness ▪ Communication ▪ Results Oriented ▪ Teamwork ▪ Service Oriented
▪ Alignment & Results ▪ Relationship Management/Building ▪ Team Development
Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
To apply, please visit www.bchousing.org/careers
BC Housing—one of BC's Top Employers for 2016—is the provincial Crown agency that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
When applying, please submit a cover letter and your application in **one** single document as a word or pdf file only.
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.